Osprey was born in California, 1974 at the seat of a single sewing machine, with a head full of ideas and a desire to design & build innovative backpacks to the highest quality. Today, Osprey products continue that pioneering spirit, being used on the highest mountains to the remotest islands and everywhere in between.
Behind the Design
“My personal philosophy is that I enjoy life more if I’m surrounded by things that I built myself. I understand my surroundings and I connect better with my environment. It was a love of building product, making things for myself and my friends that got me into this business.
I started out by building day packs and backpacks for customers in Santa Cruz. I was fresh out of University and I really enjoyed setting my own hours, building gear and listening to stories about how that gear had travelled to some peaks or around the world.”
Founder & Chief Designer
“Just to say thank you so much for arranging to fix James’ bag and to its very swift return post mouse attack! He is VERY pleased to have it back. Faultless customer care”
All Mighty Guarantee
At Osprey we only design and build high quality products that last a long time, that’s why all our products are covered under our All Mighty Guarantee. As part of our commitment to protecting the environment we always strive, whenever possible, to repair products rather than replace them.
Should you find any defect in either the materials or craftsmanship of your pack we will repair or replace it without any charge, within its reasonable lifetime.
Protecting the Future
At Osprey we are dedicated to the outdoors and a key aspect in our ongoing strategy is the protection and conservation of our natural environment.
That is why we sponsor the Bird Conservation Georgia’s project through The European Outdoor Conservation Association to stop illegal hunting of raptors in Batumi, Lesser Caucasus.
- We only design/build high quality products that last a long time.
- We don’t over-produce products and sell them at clearance prices.
- We use very expensive materials and fabrics, therefore we keep wastage to an absolute minimum.
- Our product is not fashion driven, so we aren’t encouraging consumers to replace products before they are worn out.
- Wherever possible we repair warranty products rather than replace them.
- Wherever possible we use recyclable and recycled materials in packaging – and keep any packaging to a minimum.