Summer city breaks offer an ideal way to see a lot in a short period of time and in some glorious weather. One of the most cost effective ways of doing this is with the ‘carry-on only’ ethos. This means you’re travelling light, avoiding extra baggage costs and focusing only on enjoying the cultural delights of your chosen destination.
Your carry-on luggage should be your first consideration. You’ll need something that will easily fit your summer clothes and accessories, conform to EU Carry-on Regulations and meets your individual needs. This can range from needing wheels or a backpack harness to durability or versatility.
The Farpoint 40 and women’s specific Fairview 40 for example, are great options. With 40 litres of capacity, plenty of organisational pockets, a laptop or tablet sleeve and a scratch resistant sunglasses pocket, you have more than enough space for all of your gear. It also has the benefit of being carried like a backpack, via stowable harness, while also boasting a suitcase style opening.
There are plenty more carry-on options you can view here.
How to Pack
Packing cubes are your friends. Organised packing with cubes or a garment folder will help you prioritise what you’re taking and assist with compact packing. Ultralight Double Sided Packing Cubes provide organisation while also utilising a breathable mesh to help dry any moist or dirty clothing.
Recommended Packing List
- Sun Protection – If your summer city break is in a warmer climate then it’s likely you’re going to need sun protection. Essentials include a hat, sunglasses and sun cream
- T-shirts – If it’s going to be hot and you’re planning to cover some serious city kilometres, then t-shirts with breathable fabrics are best. Synthetic t-shirts wick moisture away and allow it to evaporate while cotton-shirts are comfortable because they absorb the moisture. A few of each type might be recommended
- Shorts – 1 or 2 pairs of shorts will do the trick!
- Socks & Underwear – Pack a pair of light trainer socks per day to save weight and space
- Shoes & Sandals – If you’re heading somewhere casual then sandals are a great compact and light option, otherwise a pair of comfortable trainers or shoes are fine
- Ultralight Stuff Pack – If you don’t want to head out with your main pack then this ultralight companion will do the job
- Toiletries & Washbag – A compact washbag, such as the Washbag Carry-On, will hold your toothbrush, toothpaste and other essentials